Monday, March 30, 2009

The other day I was watching a show on the national geographic channel about the prison system in America called Lock Down.  I always find myself watching these shows on tv about prisons and, my favorites being Lock Down, and Lock up Raw on MSNBC.  I can't believe my eyes when I see the things that actually go on behind prison doors.  The amount of crime that goes on in the prison system, both from the guards, and the inmates, is compatibly the same as the crime that goes happens on the streets of America.  There are so many gangs that are fully functioning in the prison system and the y seem to have no problems what so ever contacting their other gang members in the outside world.  There is a whole set or codes, rules, and ethics that prisoners must follow and they really live in their own little world and sometimes seem as though they'd be happier behind bars then they would if they were free.  I also heard a startling statistic stating that 32.2% of young Black men and 12.3% of young Latino men are either in prison, jail, or on probation or on parole.  That is a scary statistic and I don't quite know how to understand this or why this may be however when I watch these shows on tv I do notice that the majority of the prison inmates, no matter what prison the show is filmed at, Black and Latino males.  I'm curious to know why this may be however I don't think that there is a concrete answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment